John Bourke wrote:
I think the problem is caused by me having a page sequence called detail
page, into which my 500 pages worth of data is placed with a page break
before each page full. BUT, this is all within the one page sequence which I
think FOP is trying to render all at once.

FOP tries to render page by page, however, ending a page sequence will usually free additional memory (perhaps a lot of additional memory, according to the stories on the list).

Then when rendering FOP throws the following exception:
---------
java.lang.NullPointerException
at
org.apache.fop.fo.pagination.PageSequence.getNextPageMaster(PageSequence.jav
a:526)

This has nothing to do with a memory problem. You probably have referenced a page master which doesn't exist, or hit another FOP bug. Can you post your layout-master-set?