From: Jeremias Maerki [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2002 7:42 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: FOP Scalability

You could have additional servers (can be low-cost) and use JMS to post
jobs to a queue. These additional servers will listen on the queue
(automatic load-balancing through use of JMS), generate PDFs and send a
message back that the file is ready to be taken by the front servlet.

> I have FOP 0.20.3 running successfully on my web server and was wondering
> what the best way to control the scalability of it. There is a possibility
> that 30 + users may be requesting a PDF page at the same time and as you
all
> know FOP is not too kind on memory usage. The PDF being produced are only
10
> pages max so its just the cost of the processing on the web server that is
> the problem.
> I have seen ideas about limiting the number of FOP processes running at
one
> time but I dont want to have users waiting for minutes for their PDF page
> be displayed.
> Does any one have any other ideas ?

Cheers,
Jeremias Märki

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

OUTLINE AG
Tel. +41 41 317 2020 - Fax +41 41 317 2029
Internet http://www.outline.ch