From: Peter B. West [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2002 7:50 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: step-by-step instructions how to print Chinese in PDF?

Argyn,

This is a stab in the dark, but I am surprised to see "Arial" associated
with an ideographic font.  If the font information tells you that Arial
is present, then what I suspect is that the font bundles Arial with its
ideographic font(s) so that the users have the resources to process both
Western and ideographic text.  The other suspicious note in this is the
use of serif and sans-serif.  These terms have a very specific meaning
in Western fonts, but I cannot see any application for them in an
ideographic font.

Bottom line is that when you specify "Arial" or "sans-serif" you are
specifying a non-ideographic font, so it is not surprising that you are
not seeing any ideographic characters.  What other font-names are
available to you in msmincho.ttc?  Mincho?  If so, try that in your
userconfig, and forget the "family" until you find out what a meaningful
"family" value would be for an ideographic font.

Peter