Hello!

Yes, that's probably the case.
Well, it seems to me, JRun 3.1 uses rather old xml parser and xslt processor by default, (like websphere 3.5 does, btw), so you have to upgrade them (see
http://www.macromedia.com/v1/Handlers/index.cfm?ID=22729&Method=Full) or override them by adding new versions in %JAVA_HOME%\jre\lib\ext directory, what you have done successfully.

Carter, Will wrote:
thanks for the response...

I have doublechecked my classpath and am certain that these are the only
jars it picks up:

these files are in my only classpath (C:\Program
Files\Allaire\JRun\servers\lib):
ant.jar (289k 3/2/2002)
avalon-framework-4.0.jar (35k 3/2/2002)
batik.jar (1896k 3/2/2002) fop.jar (1806k 3/2/2002)
logkit-1.0.jar (69k 3/2/2002)
xalanj1compat.jar (37k 3/2/2002)

if I put these to files in the above classpath, my servlet doesn't work.
xerces-1.2.3.jar          (749k   3/2/2002)
xalan-2.0.0.jar           (687k   3/2/2002)

but if I put these 2 in my C:\jdk1.3.1_02\jre\lib\ext folder, the servlet
does.

I think this message speaks to my problem.
http://www.opencms.org/majordomo/opencms-dev/0107/msg00020.html

excerpt from above message -->
I have Cocoon (see: xml.apache.org) running on this W2000 system. For this
to work, I had to tackle the parser problem, i.e. replace the JRUN parser
with Xerces. I followed the instructions specific for Cocoon on the Allaire
website. Since Cocoon is running now, I am confident that I solved this
problem (There were some emails on this list dealing with this same
problem). I also passed the famous step 6 in the installation procedure.
end excerpt from above message -->

At present, I can't find the directions to replace the JRUN parser with
Xerces.

Do you all think I am barking up the wrong tree with this solution?

thanks,
will