Here's what J.Pietschmann had to say yesterday about this:

Point 1: file:b.svg is, technically, an invalid URL. FOP tries to cope
with it, but Batik has it's of logic. Use b.svg or a full path
file:///path/to/b.svg. In the first case, all three files a.svg, b.svg
and c.fo should be in the current directory.
Point 2: Neither of the code snippets you show has the SVG namespace
declared as default namespace. The usual way is that this is done in
the SVG DTD. Check whether both files either include a proper DOCTYPE
declaration pointing to the DTD, or declare the SVG namespace.
Point 3: Your b.svg links retro.svg, not a.svg.

In your case try Point 1 first and see if that helps.
   Matthew L. Avizinis <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Gleim Publications, Inc.
   4201 NW 95th Blvd.
 Gainesville, FL 32606
(352)-375-0772 ext. 101