why can't you do multiple transformations? the first transformation will
transform the xml into another xml document where you rearrange the
elements/attributes into a format more favorable to you.

Then your second transformation can use the new xml to do tree parsing.

You may not be able to change the XML, but you can change what you do with
it :)

Charlie