Dear J.Pietschmann and fellow foppers,

First, thank you for offering at least a solution!  I was
used to equal width columns in tbl and troff documents, but
wasn't aware of the feature in FOP.

However, you state "if there is no explicit width, there
is no point in centering it".  If I knew the width in
advance, then I could specify the correct start-indent
value.  I simply want a collection of blocks to be centered
on the page and I'm happy for each block to use as much
horizontal space as it likes.

Regards,

Mick               /"\
                   \ /