Actually the kerning section is not evaluated or evaluated in
a IMHO strange way (see:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-user&m=103674474516039&w=2 ).

On my way to the workaround I tried adjusting the kerning. With a
font manager (typograf, http://www.neuber.com/typograf/index.html,
30d evaluation, don't remember if english UI is supported) and the sources
of the TTFReader I made up a model of what those elements could mean.
Reading docs would be the better way but I didn't find any:

<kerning>  defines which character pairs are displayed with additional
space between them
kpx1: gi (perhaps glyph index) of the left character
kpx2: gi of the right character
kern: amount of additional space (negativ values move characters
closer together)

<bf> defines a mapping between gi and Unicoded chracters
gi: glyph index (?)
us: Unicode Start
ue: Unicode End
Assumption:
Chracter with gi displays Unicode character us, character gi+1
is us+1...until ue.

I didn't find any contradictions using this model but it should
be regarded as model only.

HTH
Thomas