Eric Smith wrote:

I cannot see in the docs how to have the label size automatcally set
by the width of the label.  I am using  with level="multiple".
Accordingly the label may be 1. or 1.4 or 1.4.2.7 or whatever.

Anyone know how to do this?

Well, fo lists are not very smart objects and without a careful planning labels may wrap or overlap body. It's a stylesheet author responsibility to provide provisional-distance-between-starts property value that is big enough to cater the biggest label may occur in the list, otherwise a label value will be wrapped. You may consider calculating of provisional-distance-between-starts at xslt stage according to label length in em units, for example.

See http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect3/bk/ch07.html#d0e5755.
--
Oleg Tkachenko
eXperanto team