Johan Åbrandt wrote:

It doesnt do the trick for me since I have no idea where any of our
customers might have decided to install their application server. Also I
am using EAR file which means that servletContext.getRealPath( string )
wouldnt do it either. I am currently looking into using the
javax.servlet.context.tempdir directory, and put the file there in
init() for later use. That solution would probably work, but I´m not
sure if I can look at myself in the mirror after such a hack...

You can also consider using kind of proxy servlet in which resolve https image. I mean:
<fo:external-graphics src="url('http://foo.bar/proxyServlet?url=https://real.url')"/>

--
Oleg Tkachenko
eXperanto team