I had problems with images myself. The text printed sharply, but the images were showing up pixelated, and I wanted cleaner pictures. The fix was to make the *images* 300dpi JPG files (I suspect it would be the same for another format like PNG). Once I changed to hi-resolution images, the documents looked great!

Start from a relatively large image (don't start from a small 72dpi image the same size as your output should be, or it won't work). In Photoshop, go to Image|Image Size, and change the DPI setting to 300 (you can experiment with this setting, but 300 worked for me). Then make certain your image dimensions are appropriate, and click OK. Save your JPG image and you're done! YOu might have to play a bit with the output format. I've found FOP to be a bit picky with some COMPRESSION, INTERLEAVE and other settings. If you have a problem, experiment!

Hope this helps!

Web Maestro Clay