Thanks for your reply.

How do you find Stylus Studio does for layout preparation? Does
it let you see the FO capabilities on screen without having to
process it via FOP into PDF?

The feeling that I got from it is that it is great for going to
HTML but the only FO support it had was being able to plug in
FOP and create PDF.