Alexander Koppelhuber wrote:
I don't have an answer to your question, but my observation with fop is
that subsequent rendering is much faster than the first one. Even if you
change the content (texts, images). And also if you render to AWT first,
and then to pdf. So I guess that reuse of a fop tree or caching is done
internally.

Bad guess. Except for the "caching images" bit, it is most likely the effect of HotSpot kicking in. The FO tree is completely discarded after rendering.