This issue has nothing to do with FOP.  It's actually a bug with Acrobat
Reader.  If you watch your process list, you'll see one instance of
AcroRd32.exe (Acrobat Reader), which is doing double-duty for displaying
both PDFs.

When you close the PDF outside of the browser, AcroRd32.exe dies, which
blanks the PDF in the browser.  AcroRd32.exe really shouldn't kill itself.
We had the same problem with Microsoft Word (imagine that).  That's what you
call poor AddRef()ing from the company who wrote COM rules.

Scott