> Or can somebody say "I have had no problems with that.

I have no problem including jpeg or gif files from a Tomcat server (Both
Tomcat 3.x and 4.x).
And my Tomcat server is running on a different port (48080).

I use something like this because my images are dynamically generated and
the url is extracted from the input XML stream:

<fo:block>
 <fo:external-graphic>
  <xsl:attribute name="src"><xsl:value-of select="."/></xsl:attribute>
 </fo:external-graphic>
</fo:block>

Thierry.