contains very precise spacing. For example, I might have a column of numbers such as: 9.5 17.23 1492.1 that I need to line up on the decimal point.

Does anyone have any advice how I can get my fixed-width fonts to truly be
rendered as fixed-width, without an intermediate PDF file?

Jim,

you could try another approach (as i do myself in our chemical analysis reporting).
Devide the numbers in two parts: one containing the part before the decimal point and one containing the rest. Use two columns in your table for these devided results, the left one with the text aligned to the right and the right one with the text aligned to the left.

Oscar