Hi Jim & Chris,

Using fop 0.20.4 I was able to load a background-image when rendering to -pdf but not -print. I have tried both 0.20.4 & 0.20.5rc and get the same results.

In my implementation I place the background-image in the fo:region-body tag (BTW, I also tested the background-image attribute in a table-row, and was able to successfully render for -pdf but not -print):

<fo:region-body margin-bottom="6.5cm" background-image="images/this_is_not_a_bill_2.jpg">

As I mentioned it works OK with PDF, but one problem I have, is that if I specify a background-color in a table cell or row (I hilite every other row), it blocks the background-image for the page. I'd like to have some sort of transparency, if possible.

<fo:table border="0pt" table-layout="fixed" margin-top="4pt">
<fo:table-column column-width="1.3cm"/>
<fo:table-column column-width="16.6cm"/>
<fo:table-body>
<xsl:for-each select="LINE">
<fo:table-row>
<xsl:attribute name="background-color"><xsl:choose><xsl:when test="(position() mod 2) = 0"><xsl:value-of select="$varAccentBGColor"/></xsl:when><xsl:otherwise><xsl:value-of select="$varNormalBGColor"/></xsl:otherwise></xsl:choose></xsl:attribute>
<fo:table-cell padding="1pt">
<fo:block keep-with-next.within-page="always">
<xsl:value-of select="THING"/>
</fo:block>
</fo:table-cell>
<fo:table-cell padding="1pt">
<fo:block padding-left="6pt" keep-with-next.within-page="always">&#160;<xsl:value-of select="DESC"/>
</fo:block>
</fo:table-cell>
</fo:table-row>
</xsl:for-each>
</fo:table-body>
</fo:table>

I thought about applying a background-image="images/semi-transparent.gif where the predominate "color" is transparent, but it is speckled with color. I receive numerous error messages:

[ERROR] Could not load external SVG: Content is not allowed in prolog. Error creating background image: No ImageReader for this type of image (file:/C:/xml_med7/biglinux/)

Here's the image I used as a test:
http://users.tellurian.net/sandow/overlib/zzinclud/transpbg.gif

[OT] If you're interested in getting a better idea of the transparent image, check out Dennis Sandow's page on a nifty javascript called "overLIB" & mouseover some of the images on the page:
http://users.tellurian.net/sandow/overlib/backgrnd.htm

If I were to really include a BG image in my page, I'd probably make more of it transparent, and change the color (I think it's black) to be closer to gray or even a light teal. That way it won't be such a stark contrast.

Aside from the fact that I don't get background-image to appear with -print, my main problem is that I'd like to have a background-image as well as alternating table-row background-color above. Any ideas?

Web Maestro Clay