Just in case anyone is interested:

Getting xslt to work was frustrating, but the final solution was simple. If I had replaced the xml lib jars in tomcat/common/endorsed with the newer versions from FOP, I wouldn't have had any problems. Tomcat, Struts, and FOP are all happy, except for this hopefully harmless exception as tomcat starts up:

----------
Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
Apache Tomcat/4.1.18
Parse Fatal Error at line 551 column 44: The string "--" is not permitted within comments.
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The string "--" is not permitted within comments.
at org.apache.xerces.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createSAXParseException(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.fatalError(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(Unknown Source)
<snip>

Anyone know what file tomcat is complaining about?

I also added the updated fop xml jars to my <JAVA_HOME>/jre/lib/endorsed dir in an earlier (futile) attempt to get things working, but I don't think that is necessary. Apparently older versions of xerces or xalan or something is included in the java 1.4 rt.jar, and the xalan faq explains that this is one way to over-ride them.

Darrel

Darrel Riekhof wrote:

The conversion from .fo to .pdf seems to work using the tomcat xml libs. Don't think tomcat comes with xalan, so hopefully I can just throw fop's xalan.jar in my WEB-INF/lib, will find out soon.

Looks like struts-1.1-b2 depends on some xml parsing functionality that is specific to the version of xerces that comes with with tomcat, but thats just a guess on my part.