What you're writing about here is how to use Javascript with Xalan.  When
you run FOP from the command line, it is transparent to the user that it is
calling and running Xalan to create the fo file before FOP itself runs on
the fo file.  If you look at the Xalan page of apache.org, you'll see a
number of examples of how to use Javascript.  If you need any more help
after that, just send another message and I'll be glad to help, as I use
Java and Javascript extension functions to Xalan in my own work.
   Matthew L. Avizinis <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Gleim Publications, Inc.
   4201 NW 95th Blvd.
 Gainesville, FL 32606
(352)-375-0772 ext. 101