Oscar Schoof wrote:
" There is no reliable way to get the real total page count with
FO mechanisms, you can only get page numbers."

For me, it is for reference only, i don't need a page-count. Still, a reference like 'page 2 of 1' is weird.

Look carefully: you want to have the *page count*, or alternatively, the last page number in the page sequence (because counting starts with "1"). Usually this can be done with a page number citation referring to something on the last page, however, there is *no* way to refer to something on a forced blank page.

Looks to me that the 0.20.5 renderer makes the use of fo:page-number-citation a problem.

It's the XSLFO design, not the implementation posing the problem.