Look carefully: you want to have the *page count*, or alternatively,
the last page number in the page sequence (because counting starts
with "1"). Usually this can be done with a page number citation
referring to something on the last page, however, there is *no* way
to refer to something on a forced blank page.

Ok, i understand it, i think. I cannot refer to anything that does not exist as an object in the (my own) fo-source (or formatted object tree).

It's the XSLFO design, not the implementation posing the problem.

You mean: the XSLFO design gives no pointers or handles on how to implement "this"?
It there somebody allready talking with the W3C people about this?

Oscar