I have written an extension that I had discussed a while ago about writing
page numbers to an alternate xml file while FOP is running.  I submitted it
a while ago.  It has a number of properties that allow you to name the file,
whether it is the first or last entry going into the file so you can create
a well-formed xml file, name the root element if it is the first entry to
the file, the element name itself, and an id.

This has allowed me to compile large books with many images by chapter (thus
reducing memory usage) and still be able to make page cross-references from
chapter to chapter.

The code has been corrected recently by someone here that is more of a Java
programmer than I.  I will be posting the corrected extension code as soon
as I implement your very information instructions and test it.

Previously, I had only been able to insert the function by rebuilding FOP
with my code files in the source area (I had a misinterpretation of the
instructions that another person here at my company interpreted correctly
and pointed it out to me).

I also have an extension that emits two page numbers (there was a short
discussion a number of months ago) per page, e.g. left page - 1, 2; right
page -- 3, 4, since I recently had a need for such a thing myself.
thanks for the help.