Patrick Dean Rusk wrote:
I have a need to put copyright symbols in my rendered text from time to
time, and I like to follow them with a space.  Because of some of the
transformation logic required when I do this, I can't easily ensure that an
actual space will appear in the event stream that FOP processes.  In other
words, I can't do the following:

<fo:character character="&#x00A9;"/> <fo:inline>2003</fo:inline>

What I'm looking for is a FO element that I can put between the
<fo:character> above and the <fo:inline>.  I thought that

<fo:character character=" "/>

would work, but it does not.

In what sense it doesn't work? Also, if you can ensure an element follows the copyright character, you should be able to (unconditionally) put a space there too. Usually consecutive spaces are collapsed into one, therefore it shouldn't matter whether you get additional spaces form various sources at this point. If all fails, try a non-breaking space, &#xA0;

J.Pietschmann