[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
When I embed an entity reference in my XSL, it is rendered correctly in the
PDF.  When I embed it into the XML, all I see is the literal entity
reference in my PDF.  I'm using the predefined entities (<) so I don't
know why this is not working.  My XML and XSL are both UTF-8.

I suspect you construct a DOM or JDOM tree or something similar and call this "the XML". This is not correct, the XML syntax rules apply only to documents, i.e. stuff read from files or network connections. If you construct a DOM, you can use ampersands and less-than signs without escaping, and for arbitrary Unicode characters use Java Unicode escapes, like \00A0 for a nbsp. Check the Java lang doc for more details.