On 29.01.2003 19:29:02 Rodolfo M. Raya wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 14:41, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> > The Arial font you're talking about is TrueType, right? You can't use
> > TrueType fonts with the PostScript renderer, yet. The PostScript
> > renderer is not anywhere near the functionality the PDF renderer offers.
>
> I noticed that you introduced a lot of changes in FOP regarding font handling
> during the last couple of weeks. Any chance this changes will improve
> PostScript renderer soon?

No. You have to be aware that we have to lines of development here:
Maintenance (where the current releases come from) and redesign. I'm
mostly working on the latter. The other font-related stuff was mostly
bugfixing.

You will have to go with the PDF renderer for now, I'm afraid.

> > I suggest you generate PDF files and convert them to PostScript using
> > Acrobat Reader (command line only available on Unix), GhostScript or
> > pdf2ps.
>
> I need a solution for Windows too. Acrobat Reader is OK in Linux.
> GhostScript fails converting files with Unicode fonts.
>
> Is there any other tool that can convert PDF to PostScript in Windows?

Win32 port of pdftops from the xpdf package perhaps:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=23617&release_id=91406

> > Normal procedures for adding fonts to FOP is here:
> > http://xml.apache.org/fop/fonts.html
> >
> > Please be aware that not every renderer support every font.
>
> I need to know if PostScript renderer will be able to use Arial Unicode
> if I embed it in FOP. Any idea?

As I already tried to explain, it won't, at least not in the near future.
You're invited to help us add that functionality.

Jeremias Maerki