Jon,

You seem to have the same problem with emailing your characters to the list
as in your PDF.

As well as this:
http://xml.apache.org/fop/faq.html#faq-N10402

the other problem might be not using the correct file encoding declaration
eg.

in your XML/XSL to match the actual file encodings(file editor, Save As -
Type).

Regards,
Roland