On 13.02.2003 22:06:32 Joop Vriend wrote:
> Does anybody know why EPS-images are not shown in Acrobat? Is it going
> to change in coming versions of FOP? We are currently using FOP 0.20.4.
> Can we fix it ourselves or is it very complicated?

Acrobat doesn't support displaying EPS files because that would involve
having a PostScript interpreter built-in. If you open it in
GhostScript/GhostView you will see it because the PDF is internally
converted to PostScript and GhostScript is a PostScript interpreter. So
you cannot fix it by modifying FOP.

But you could convert the EPS file to SVG, for example, using Adobe
Illustrator or a similar program. The SVG will then be converted by
Batik and FOP to PDF drawing operations.

> Or can the resulting PDF from FOP be "post-processed" (from PDF to PDF),
> so EPS-images can be shown in Acrobat? (Possibly also shrinking the size
> of the PDF file?) I know the data of the EPS is in the PDF. If I "print"
> the FOP PDF to Acrobat Distiller, the image shows up.

Right, because the PDF is converted to PostScript (by the printer driver) and
then back to PDF (by Distiller). This process makes an implicit
conversion from EPS to PDF drawing operations.

Jeremias Maerki