Jeff,

> I'm working on getting a block to use a background image, but
> it seems that
> when the image is inserted into the PDF, it's put in at some
> terribly low
> resolution.  I'm trying to get the image to scale to fit the
> space of the
> block, but to no avail.

This worked.

<fo:block-container width="522pt" height="684pt" top="0cm" left="0cm"
                          position="absolute">
  <fo:block>
    <fo:external-graphic src="url(MO399Ver1med.jpg)" scaling="uniform"/>
  </fo:block>
</fo:block-container>
<fo:table ...

top & left properties are relative to the region it is in. Put it in the
region-before flow(*) instead to get it right at the page top if you use
margins.

(*) or static-content to repeat on every page if it's a watermark.

Cheers,
Roland