From Adobe's web site:
  Several more tools for creating accessible Adobe PDF
  files are also available for Windows. These include
  the Paper Capture plug-in, which adds text to a
  scanned page; the Make Accessible plug-in for the
  conversion of legacy Adobe PDF files to tagged Adobe
  PDF files; and the PDFMaker macro, for creating tagged
  Adobe PDF files in conjunction with Microsoft Office
  2000 and Office XP applications.

Have you tried using the Adobe Make Accessible plugin? I realize you'll want to automate the process, and perhaps it's accessible from the command line? I'd be interested in finding out more about this if you find anything.

Web Maestro Clay

Jeremias Maerki wrote:
This is not a foolish question. Unfortunate for you, but FOP doesn't
support Tagged PDF at this time. And to answer a possible follow-up
question: It's not on the todo list. This is not really a hot topic, so
that explains why you haven't found any information. Anyway, this is
OpenSource. Anything can happen...