see comments below.

From: David Bridgeland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Was a bug was introduced sometime after 0.20.4 ?

The following FO file causes fop-0.20.5rc to run forever. It generates a neverending log file that looks like this:

 [INFO] area contents overflows area [ERROR] Couldn't find hyphenation
 pattern en [ERROR] Error building hyphenation tree for language en

some hyphenation patterns were removed for 0.20.5rc due to licensing issues. Change your language attribute on the <page-sequence> element to be language="en_GB" (as en was removed)

According to a helpful individual on docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org, this runs fine in
fop-0.20.4.

I tried 0.20.4, and it does generate a PDF, but not without a whole bunch of errors. What I believe is happening is that 0.20.4 fails to load the background image, because its a PNG and the 0.20.4 requires a re-build to get it working with Jimi. However, 0.20.5rc will find Jimi on the claspath without a re-build and so is able to load the PNG image. The error you get suggests that the content is too big to fit on any page, i.e. the image is too big.

I recommend you try using a smaller background image to see if you can generate a PDF.

Chris