Sorry, I should have included these details also:

Our PDFs are produced during a batch process, meaning the JVM is started
once and all PDFs are then created.  This, of course, means the JVM stays
"warm" and we can take full advantage of HotSpot compilation.

We also have implemented a style sheet cache, so once the style sheet has
been used once the compiled version is reused over and over, which
definitely helps performance.

All of our XML/XSLT interfaces use JAXP, meaning we can plug in different
XML/XSLT processors.  We currently use Saxon 6.5.2 because it's the
fastest, but it appears the recently-released Xalan 2.5 has closed the gap
considerably.

Even though the computer has 1 GB RAM available, we only allocate a max
heap size of 512 MB.

                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      ul.com                   To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                                               cc:

                      05/02/2003 06:58         Subject:  Re: Performance
Question
                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      fop-user

I have FOP running on a Pentium 4 2.54 GHz computer with 1 GB memory and
Win2000.  I use Saxon 6.5.2 as the XML parser and XSLT engine.  It also
uses custom XMLReaders to produce SAX events which are processed by FOP.

We usually see a PDF production rate of 8-9 pages per second, and we
sometimes produce PDFs that are 1500+ pages.  The only real problem with
FOP is some of the XSL style sheet tricks necessary to insert intermittent
page-sequences so FOP doesn't run out of memory.

Hope this helps.

                      "Christian

                      Neuroth"                 To:
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        cc:

                                               Subject:  Performance
Question
                      04/30/2003 03:30

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      fop-user

In my company, we are currently using StreamServe to produce documents
(basically invoices).
50.000 docs/day, 3.000 prints, 47.000 pdf.
The final document averages 3 pages (there are some exceptions with up to
1000 pages - very rare, however), a document containing only one graphic
(logo).

I am puzzling whether I can shift from StreamServer to FOP. Are there any
people out there who apply FOP to achieve a similar volume? Is the
performance ok?