In my PDF copy of XSLT Quickly, by Bob DuCharme (Manning Publications Co.),
the first pages are numbered i to xv ante the index on the bottom shows "xv
(15/317)". The next page is the first of the first chapter, and the counter
is restarted with arabic numerals. The bottom now shows "1 (16/317)".
However, the book "XML and Java", by the same publisher, which numbers the
pages the same way, does not show them nicely in the bottom window, and
just shows the usual "24/298" for page 1. "Bitter Java", by Bruce A. Tate,
has three differente page sequences, and thay all show correctly in the
bottom window: last page is "G (373/373)".
So, it _is_ feasable, although most people don't care to make the index
display correctly. Unfortunately, sending you the book would, I think,
infringe its copyright, as with the ISO standard Andreas cited (I have it
too, and its index also works correctly). When Ctrl+N is pressed, you can
enter "A", "1" or "i" and Acrobat moves to the correct page sequence. I
wonder if it is possible to have two arabic or roman or alphavbetic
sequences...

Marcelo Jaccoud Amaral
Petrobrás (http://www.petrobras.com.br)
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
voice: +55 21 2534-3485
fax: +55 21 2534-1809
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary
and those who don't.

                      Clay Leeds

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        Para:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      m>                       cc:

                                               Assunto:  Re: Page numbers in
PDF
                      08/05/2003 13:04

                      Favor responder a

                      fop-user

Andreas,

In all of the PDF documents I've seen (mostly electronic manuals for
programs for Adobe and others) I've always seen the number of pages work
the way you describe (all pages counted together & requiring an offset).
In fact, the window at the bottom of Acrobat shows the page number
you're on out of the total. I've never seen otherwise, and would dearly
love to be shown I'm wrong. Can you provide a URL to a PDF file that has
this otherwise (an attachment might be a faux pas ;-p)?

I just went through every PDF I have (including the ones from Adobe) and
they all count the number of pages inclusively. There are no separate
numbering systems when I do a Ctrl+N.

Clay

Andreas Wachowski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a docbook document converted to FO and to PDF via FOP (0.20.4).
The
> document contains two page number sequences. One for the title page and
table
> of contents in small roman numerals; another for the remainder of the
> document in arabic numbers. So far so good.
>
> The resulting PDF however numbers the pages from first to last page in
just
> one sequence. In particular, when I (use Acrobat reader and) look at the
> table of contents and would like to jump to e.g. page 5, I cannot type
CTRL-N 5,

--
Clay Leeds - [EMAIL PROTECTED]