Victor Mote wrote:
I just looked in the standard & could not readily find where conformance in
this situation is defined.

Space resolution rules: http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/slice4.html#area-space Be careful, you'll get headaches just from reading.

FOP resolves spaces in a simplistic and non-conformant manner: it
just uses .optimum unconditionally.

From a previous message
I have received from Bob Stayton
<quote>
FOP uses the space-before attributes in all cases,
> even when they are within a list-item-body.
I'm not sure that actually violates the XSL spec,
since spaces are considered discardable only at
the top of a reference area, and a list-item-body is
not a reference area.
</quote>

Yes, but the spec says in 6.8.3 "fo:list-item" just before the note clarifying that list-item is *not* a reference area: "In particular, the space-before and space-after of the child areas have no effect on the spacing of the list item. For purposes of the block-stacking constraints the areas generated by fo:list-item are treated as if there they have a fence preceding and a fence following them."

Specs are great, aren't they? Anyway, FOP handles the case
wrong, as it does with many other important cases.

J.Pietschmann