Clay Leeds wrote:
Wait a minute... Are you trying to do layout like in a newspaper? Where the end of one column at the bottom of the page will "flow" to the top of the next column? As far as I know (& I consider my knowledge of FOP a bit above that of a newbie), that isn't supported in FOP. To do

Yep, that's what I need. I was pretty sure that FOP didn't support it, but hey, neither does any other XSL 1.0 compliant tool.

I think I will just approximate the lengths of lines (thanks to JP's comment) unless it proves woefully inaccurate. If it does, I think I may try and write a patch to add support for multi-column blocks, unless wrapping my head around the FOP maintenance code proves too time-consuming. My last resort would be to manipulate various FOP objects in my code to use FOP's line-length algorithm.

Thanks for your help, in any event.

Ben