I will try to reduce it to a test case.
I had a 583k fo file and it was crashing.
Because the stack trace indicated a problem with the table cell, I verified my
cells.  That's when I discovered that in some cases, I only would output one
column in a multi column table.

After fixing the columns (adding some), the crash did not occur.

One small point that I forgot to add is an attribute on my fo:table element.

Did you try
<fo:table table-layout="fixed">

</fo:table>