I agree with you. I am not at all an AWT/Swing expert. When I was
investigating this it turned out to be surprisingly difficult to get
reliable information about threadsafty of these classes. Especially when I
tried to find out where exactly the problem is inside AWT/Swing and what
could be done to work around it. It seems that serverside usage of AWT
classes is not very common.
So, the analysis I provided comes mostly from the bits of information I
found and analysis of AWT/Swing sources conducted by  myself and a few
others that I consider more knowledable than myself in these matters.
Anyway, if there is anyone around with more AWT knowledge, I would
appreciate their comments.
cheers,
Reto

|---------+--------------------------->
|         |           "Victor Mote"   |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           >               |
|         |                           |
|         |           16.06.2003 16:22|
|         |           Bitte antworten |
|         |           an fop-user     |
|         |                           |
|---------+--------------------------->

Reto wrote:

> I have investigated this and have done some multithreaded tests with
> AWTRenderer a few months ago. The conclusions can be found in the
archives
> of this list.
> make an "AWTRenderer" threadsave, since it would have to be
> written without
> using AWT.

Yes, your comments are the ones that I referenced in my answer, and they
were very helpful. The only thing that troubles me is that although it is
well-documented that Swing classes are not thread-safe, I can find nothing
similar for AWT, so I am hesitant to list that as the cause. For now, I
have
documented that the AWT Renderer should not be multi-threaded, but have not
documented why.

Victor Mote