I'm running FOP 0.20.5rc3a with Tomcat 4.1.24 on
Windows 2000 and JDK 1.4.1.

I'm written a servlet modeled on the code from
http://xml.apache.org/fop.servlets.html.  I don't want
to get XML or XSL from the server file system.  My
real app will have XML generated on the fly, so I'm
using StringReader as my data source.

I wrote a simple XML and XSL streams with which to
test the servlet.  Both of them produce a valid PDF
using the command line tool, so I knew they were okay.

When I POSTed the two streams to the servlet using an
HTML page I get this root cause to an exception:

java.lang.VerifyError: (class:
org/apache/xerces/parsers/IntegratedParserConfiguration,
method: configurePipeline signature: ()V) Incompatible
type for getting or setting field

I knew that there can be problems with different
versions of parsers and such.  I had Xalan and Xerces
JARs from FOP in my WEB-INF/lib.  I also saw xalan and
xercesImpl JARs in TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib.

When I removed all Xalan and Xerces JARs from my
WEB-INF/lib, everything worked perfectly.  It was a
conflict with Tomcat's JARs.

I thought I'd send this just in case anybody else had
the same problem.  Why wait for a question when you
can share the answer? - MOD