-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Clay Leeds [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gesendet am: Dienstag, 25. Mai 2004 20:22
An: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Betreff: Re: question about performance

Sandy,

On May 25, 2004, at 11:04 AM, Andreas L. Delmelle wrote:
> Hmm... XSL-FO is designed exactly to serve purposes like this.
>
> That being said: is it actually FOP's processing that takes a long
> time, or
> is it the XSL transform? Can you test this a bit maybe? Run the XSL
> transform separately (preferrably also through another processor than
> Xalan
> to compare results). Just adding this, because I know out of
> experience that
> 'newbie' code can easily drain an XSLT processor's resources. Things
> like
> double forward slashes ( '//*' ) might seem 'handy' in being able to
> retrieve a node from any context in the stylesheet, but an explicit
> XPath
> expression pointing at exactly the right node saves the processor a few
> (--possibly quite a few) unnecessary tree traversals.
>
> Also, could you do a bit more research on whether it is the context of
> the
> servlet that creates the delay? Try rendering the same XML+XSLT via the
> command-line, and see if there's any noticeable difference...
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Greetz,
>
> Andreas

To continue a bit on where I think Andreas was headed, there's a script
distributed with FOP, you can use to test the XSL portion: Xalan. The
scripts are called 'xalan.bat' (Windows/DOS) and 'xalan.sh' (the rest
of us)

The cmd line is simple:

xalan.sh version:
    xalan.sh -IN input.xml -XSL input.xsl -OUT output.fo

xalan.bat version
    xalan.bat -IN input.xml -XSL input.xsl -OUT output.fo

There are other commands which you can see by running
xalan.bat/xalan.sh with no arguments.

Hope this helps!

Web Maestro Clay