This question seems to fall into an XSLT category rather than XSL-FO.
One comment I would make is that the structure of your XML is weak.  If
picture1 and description1 belong together, the xml should indicate that.
You could add a another layer like this
<list>
        <list-item>
                <list-label>picture1.eps</list-label>
                <list-text>description1</list-text>
        </list-item>
        <list-item>
                <list-label>picture2.eps</list-label>
                <list-text>description2</list-text>
        </list-item>
</list>

Or you could make 'label' or 'text' an attribute of the other.  I don't
know the details of your problem domain so you would have to make the
determination.

If your xml format is locked, then you need to look at using the sibling
axis in Xpath to get some association between the labels and the text.
That question belongs in an XSLT list though.