Uh oh. My fault. You hit a bug. This happens in
org.apache.fop.render.ps.PSStream.java. I think I read somewhere that a
single line of PostScript code shouldn't contain more than 256
characters. That's probably why I wrote that check. But unfortunately, I
can't find the reference anymore.

A work-around is to fetch the FOP 0.20.5 sources, remove the check from
PSStream.java and recompile the whole thing. If your PostScript RIP
doesn't choke on lines longer than 256 characters you've won.

If that doesn't work, we need to find out why this happened. In this
case you'd have to send an XSL-FO document that reproduces the bug. One
immediate way to narrow down the search: Use -d on the FOP command line
and send the stacktrace. But it probably won't be enough.

On 21.06.2004 16:04:19 Renzo Callant wrote:
> I'm trying to render a PostScript file with FOP.
> But i get the following error :

> [DEBUG] rendering areas to PostScript
> [INFO] [1]
> [DEBUG] Last page-sequence produced 1 pages.
> [INFO] [2]
> [ERROR] PostScript Command exceeded limit of 255 characters
> org.apacge.fop.apps.FOPException: PostScript command exceeded limit of
> 255 characters
>
> I've used the same .fo to render a .pdf of 4 pages, no problem with
> that.
> Why do i get this error in generating a .ps ?

Jeremias Maerki