Thanks for your prompt and able reply, Chris. :)

Comments interleaved...

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Chris Bowditch wrote:
> Adam Augusta wrote:
>
> > The compliance page gives every indication that using the display-align
> > property of a block-container to vertically center output should work.
> > Why isn't the output text vertically centered in the 4"x5" area?
<snip>
> this should work. The only thing that strikes me as slightly unusual is that
> youve specified wrap-option="no-wrap". Try taking this off.

Didn't change anything.

> If this fails, try
>   getting rid of the nested blocks and just put the text directly below the
> block-container.

The text didn't even render.  Won't work for my application anyways - I
need to specify spacing between individual lines.

> I realise this is far from ideal, but display-align is not
> fully implemented. One work around would be to put a single column/single row
> table in there and specify display-align="centre" on the table-cell.

Even with the table workaround, I'm not getting vertically centered.
I've included the whole document this time in case I've missed something.

The workaround I'm contemplating is creating a block-container for each
and every line, but that would be quite suboptimal.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<fo:root xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";>
 <fo:layout-master-set>
  <fo:simple-page-master master-name="simple" page-height="11in"
page-width="8.5in" margin-top="0in" margin-bottom="0in" margin-left="0in"
margin-right="0in">
   <fo:region-body margin-top="0in" margin-bottom="0in"/>
   <fo:region-before extent="0in"/>
   <fo:region-after extent="0in"/>
  </fo:simple-page-master>
 </fo:layout-master-set>
 <fo:page-sequence master-reference="simple">
  <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
   <fo:table table-layout="fixed" width="4in" height="5in">
    <fo:table-column width="3in"/>
    <fo:table-body>
     <fo:table-row>
      <fo:table-cell display-align="center" text-align="center">
       <fo:block>hello</fo:block>
      </fo:table-cell>
     </fo:table-row>
    </fo:table-body>
   </fo:table>
  </fo:flow>
 </fo:page-sequence>
</fo:root>

-Adam

PS: I notice that for some people the Reply-To is just fop-user, while for
others the Reply-To also includes their personal e-mail address.  I
presume this is intentional?