This is excellent.  I set indent="no" and that fixed the issue.  Just to
summarize what I did:

1.  Wrap marker in inline.
2.  Turn off indenting on the xml output.

Thanks!

-Lou

                      "J.Pietschmann"

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]         To:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      de>                      cc:

                                               Subject: Re: fo:marker initial
child error
                      07/01/2004 15:16

                      Please respond

                      to fop-user

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> OK, I can get it to work if I manually remove the carriage returns and
> place the marker inside an inline:
> However, xalan will not let me do this.

The line feed probably comes from the input. Check whether
xsl:strip-space elemets="*", or a better selection of elements,
fixes this. If this doesn't help, or discards whitespace elsewhere,
refine the template which generates the FO containing the
markers.
Otherwise, check whether you've set indent="yes" in the xsl:output
element, although this shouldn't have an effect if you run FOP
with the xml+xsl command line.

J.Pietschmann