Adam Augusta wrote:

Apparently FOP doesn't support rotating areas. The compliance page suggests using SVG, but then I'd have to have radically different transforms for handling block spacing, progression, etc just because an area was rotated.

To that end, I was thinking of generating the area in FOP, and somehow saving that output and giving it to SVG to rotate, which I would in turn embed in FOP. Has anyone had experience with this or other, hopefully better, workarounds?

Hmm, maybe a multi-stage sollution: - Extract the rotated content and render into an SVG. Beware, the SVG renderer has a few more bugs than the other. - Add a rotation transformation to the SVG - Render the rest of the content, referring to the SVG. Of course estimating the size of the page master of the rotated content as well as the SVG dimensions maz be non-trivial, also multi-page rotated content content.

If the rotated content isn't mixed with non-rotated content on
the same page, it may be more convenient to use a rotated page
master instead (the usual answer to "I want landscape").
If there are both normal and landscape page sequences, post-processing
with iText will clean it up for on-screen viewers.

J.Pietschmann