On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Clay Leeds wrote:

> Adam,
>
> On Jul 6, 2004, at 2:18 PM, Adam Augusta wrote:
> > The 'line-height' property is supposed to specify the height of a text
> > block as a multiple of the font size.  The spec* says that the user
> > agent
> > may pick a reasonable multiplier, recommended between 1 and 1.2.  I
> > said
> > "Forget that!  I want to my spacing to be deterministic, thank you very
> > much.  What is this, CSS?"  So I specified my own spacing.

<snip />
> > No matter what line height I pick, the engine seems to add 5pt plus a
> > little more.  So if I pick 17pt, I get 22pt+, and if I pick 7pt, I get
> > 12pt+.  The compliance page says that the property is fully
> > implemented.
> > So why am I getting this 5pt+ discrepancy?
<snip />

> I don't know if it makes a difference, but it may help to know what the
> output target is (PDF? AWT? PS?) as well as the JVM/JDK. I've found
> kerning differences in output between AWT (-awt & -print) vs. PDF, that
> is affected (exacerbated?) by the version of the Java Virtual Machine.
> I realize you are writing about line-height, but perhaps (hopefully?)
> this may contribute to a workaround. In either case, perhaps we need to
> update the /compliance.html...
>
> Web Maestro Clay

PDF output
java version "1.4.2_05"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_05-b04)

The only workaround I can think of is to make each line a block container
with an absolute position.  *grimace*

-Adam

PS: Generating an SVG representation of a block container, putting a
rotate transform on the SVG group, and then reembedding that SVG into a
larger XSL:FO document seems to work well!  I can even rotate to non-90
degree orientations, but then of course I have to do some trig with widths
and reference points.  (Of course, with the problem above, I'm going to
have to come up with new reference points for every line. *shudder*)