Richard Evans wrote:

I want to have a block of text with a border and background colour which is just wide enough for the text.

I’ve tried fo:block with border and background-color attributes but the block always seems to extend across the whole page.

You need to use fo:inline or fo:inline-container for what you want. Unfortunately these elements have not been implemented properly, i.e. border and background color do not apply, and fo:inline is functionally the same as fo:wrapper.

Chris