<snip />

Hi,

IIUC,

> But the two variables are empty and retrieve-marker return a
> correct value.

Well... the xsl:variables wouldn't be empty. They would contain all of the
fo:retrieve-marker code you made them contain, but the following expression:

> <xsl:value-of select="$last_cumulative_total - $first_cumulative_total"/>

would try to perform a mathematical operation on two Result Tree Fragments,
and would not work.

> Does it because fop parse the xslt and after the fo ?

Yes --I think. The XSLT code is parsed/applied first (by Xalan). Then FOP
jumps in, and has its way with the resulting FO 'code'.

If you were to write just:
<xsl:value-of select="$last_cumulative_total" />

Then what FOP would get as input, would be:
<fo:retrieve-marker retrieve-class-name="cumulative_total"
                    retrieve-boundary="page"
                    retrieve-position="last-ending-within-page" />

> There is a not too complex solution for this problem ?

Depends... What does the source XML look like?

Greetz,

Andreas