Hello:

   I am having some difficulty understanding the inheritance of attribute properties for fo:block and fo:inline. The properties seem to be inherited but that theory does not seem to be consistent for all. Here is an example to illustrate the same:

Example:

<fo:block font-weight="bold" font-size="10pt" font-family="Times" text-decoration="underline">Text containing Parent block properties<fo:block  font-style="italic" text-decoration="line-through"> ...........Text containing inherited properties .....</fo:block> Text containing Parent block properties</fo:block>

Output for Example 1:

Text containing Parent block properties

...........Text containing inherited properties .....

Text containing Parent block properties

If you look at the output, you can notice that the 'text-decoration' property was inherited from the parent block and applied on top of the current value specified for that property in the inherited block. But the same cannot be said about 'font-weight' property. This property defaults to 'normal' in the inherited block and does not inherit from the parent block. I could not find any detailed documentation in the specification regarding this. Can anyone shed some light on this? You help is greatly appreciated.

Also, what do I need to do incase I don't want to inherit any parent block properties in a subsequent block within a parent?

Thanks,

Kumar Puppala