Hi Rob,

> I'm getting this rather less than helpful error message:
<snip />

A couple of hints:

1. try running FOP with the '-d' command line switch. This should give you
more information, maybe even more helpful :-)

2. if the error still isn't obvious, try running the transformation
standalone (i.e. first run the XSL transform, using the supplied xalan.bat
to produce the FO). This will fail if the problem is in the stylesheet (so
not really a FOP error...)

And if after these two steps the error still persists, please attach the FO
file (not XML + XSLT, but the result of the transformation in step 2), and
we'll take a look at it.

Hope this helps!

Greetz,

Andreas