FYI, the following still renders properly from where I'm sitting:
(placed line-separator in the fo:wrapper markup to avoid it being considered
part of the  content)

<fo:block font-family="Helvetica" text-align="justify">
  The meeting takes place on the <fo:wrapper font-family="Courier"
  >15<fo:inline vertical-align="super" font-size="5pt">th</fo:inline>
  </fo:wrapper> and here's some more text causing a line-break and
  triggering text-justification...
</fo:block>

It does so too when using two separate inlines instead of two nested inlines
or an inline nested in a wrapper...
My best guess would still be that there's a line-separator in the content of
the source node. (Maybe caused by having 'indent="yes"' in the xsl:output
element of the stylesheet?)

Greetz,

Andreas