It sounds like the XML parser is trying to download the SVG DTD from the w3 server. You could try registering a custom entity resolver with the parser, and then keep a local copy of the SVG DTD. When you get a request to resolve the SVG DTD, return the local copy instead of going to the W3C web site. You could also try turning off validation which might prevent the parser from fetching the DTD, but that may not work. (Do parsers fetch them anyway to handle any entity definitions in the DTD?)

-Barry Klawans